Wednesday, August 26, 2009

In Loving Memory


I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails
to the morning breeze and starts
for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky
come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says:
“There, she is gone!”
“Gone where?”
Gone from my sight.
That is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
as she was when she left my sideand she is just as ableto bear the load of living freightto her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me,
not in her.
And just at the moment
when someone at my side says:
“There, she is gone!”
There are other eyes watching her coming,
and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout:
“Here she comes!”

And that is dying.

~Henry Van Dyke

12 comments:

  1. May your soul find peace in the happy memories shared. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hillary (Daughter of Wisdom).
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tribute. Sending prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so sorry Anita, never knew he had gone...
    You have been so strong maam and I beleieve with greater persuasion and zeal, you will attain and even over exceed his dreams and aspiration.

    Take heart my sis.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am learning about the horizon, but I can only see this side. I am learning to trust God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuz, this was so awesome and noving it bought tears to my eyes and touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks:

    Hillary
    Andrea
    Sassy Trends
    camron46
    Jewel

    Your comments touched
    my heart and moved me
    to tears. God bless
    you all.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anita I have always admired your STRENGTH! Your faith in the Lord has made you strong, continue to grow stronger in the Lord!

    Be Blessed!

    Marie (Jacksonville, FL)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Marie,
    Thank you for those
    kind words.

    God bless you.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. How touching! May God bless you and shower you with grace, love and peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anita, this is such a touching tribute. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ardy, thank you
    for your prayers.

    Loni, thank you
    for your kind
    remarks.

    God bless you both.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. I appreciate your feedback.